Monday, July 9, 2012

The Creative Grind

I recently opened a new etsy shop. Cali Girl Creations. I really wanted to be able to sell something that I am passionate about and can have fun with. It would also help if it didn't cost me monetarily. So I thought about it for a couple weeks before I took any steps in creating the store. We just moved and I realized I have A LOT of stuff. More than I needed to hang onto. Then it hit me...create an etsy store specializing in vintage cameras and other vintage/kitschy items. And the store was born!

It doesn't seem like work when you're doing something you enjoy. Part of being an entreprenuer is being creative how you make money. No one likes to struggle and it's hard going through the day doing something that makes you miserable. So you have to find a balance. In addition to our businesses (New Edge Creative Services, The Tracks, Reyes Muertos Klothing...), I also teach middle school art. It's a job I enjoy and it allows us to push the businesses further, because of the "extra income". I put extra income in quotations, because what that means is we put a large portion of what we make back into our businesses. It takes money to make money. We make a lot of sacrifices to make what we do possible. Like anything worth doing, it takes a lot of hard work and discipline. We make coffee at home, limit how often we go out to eat (and out on the town), and many other little things that make a big difference. What would you do to live your dream?
One of my first painted canvas'!
I love being able to take off in the middle of the week, and work all day on Saturday. I like to be able to have control of my life, and not live by other people's rules. To the hell with rules. To live by what makes your soul sing, using life experience to make the right choices, and having a healthy and supportive business/life partner makes the daily grind that much more magical.
Our four legged son, Chubbz. :)
It only takes one step at a time to get a business off the ground. Use your talents, resources and know how to make it happen. You can start small, test it out, find out what works with your friends and family, and never give up!

Till  next time. Face a fear and live in the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment